Most Active Stories
- Historic Hoosier Toboggan Run Opens for the Season
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- Musical Variety is the Spice of Life this Month for Fernando Tarango
- What to Expect from the Indiana General Assembly in 2015
- Holiday Home Tour Promises a Nostalgic Glimpse of Fort Wayne's Past
Around the Nation
Fri July 19, 2013
Canadian Woman Picks Marriage Proposal Over Jail Time
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
Marcia Belyea was on a drive with her boyfriend when she heard a police siren. The Canadian woman was pulled over and told she owed $2,000 in parking tickets and faced 30 days in jail. As she wept in the police car, Belyea was offered a deal. Charges would be dropped if she took her boyfriend's hand in marriage.
Yes, this traumatic event was an elaborate wedding proposal. Believe it or not, she said yes. But Marcia, you have the right to revenge.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.