The Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department is promoting greater education and testing of HIV and AIDS in Northeast Indiana.
The Fort Wayne Police Department recently arrested an individual accused of failing to notify others he was HIV positive, possibly spreading it to others. HIV is spread through sex, contaminated needles, contact with infected blood or during pregnancy.
The Health Department is using this as an opportunity to promote testing. An HIV test is usually done by mouth swab or blood test, which can be done by contacting your primary care physician or by visiting a local testing center.
Local testing centers can be found at the following locations:
Fort Wayne-Allen County Dept. of Health (FWACDOH) Medical Annex: 4813 New Haven Ave; (260) 449-7504 by appointment Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
FWACDOH Off-Site Clinics:
- 519 Oxford St; Wednesdays 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Walgreens: 110 E. Creighton Ave; Every Wednesday 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.; For questions, call (260) 449-4369
Positive Resource Connection Off-Site Clinics:
- After Dark: 112 W. Masterson Avenue; Third Thursday of every month 10 p.m. – Midnight
- Matthew 25: 413 E. Jefferson Blvd; Third Thursday of every month 10 a.m. – Noon
- Neighborhood Health Clinics: 1717 S. Calhoun St; Fourth Tuesday of every month 10 a.m. – Noon
- Su Salud: 2040 S. Calhoun St; Second Monday of every month 2 p.m. – 4p.m.
- Positive Resource Connection: 525 Oxford St; Walk-in every Friday 2 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.