Most Active Stories
- Historic Hoosier Toboggan Run Opens for the Season
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- Gallery Gives Fort Wayne Artist New Chances to Connect
- Business Booming for Christmas Tree Farms Still Recovering From Drought
- Fort Wayne Group Targets Global Poverty Through Handmade Art
Tue August 14, 2012
Nancy Hamilton, wife of former Rep. Lee Hamilton, dies in weekend accident
The wife of former Indiana Rep. Lee Hamilton died this weekend after being run over by her own car. She died from her injuries hours later at the hospital.
Bloomington police captain Joe Qualters says 82-year-old Nancy Hamilton was taking her pet to College Mall Veterinary Hospital off east Third Street in Bloomington Saturday afternoon.
“When she went to retrieve her animal from the back of her car, apparently the vehicle had not been placed in park and was still in gear,” Qualters said. “It was determined the vehicle knocked her down but then also rolled over her.”
Hamilton was taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital where she died from her injuries.
Monroe County Coroner Nicole Meyer says Hamilton suffered massive blunt force to the head and chest.
Lee Hamilton is a former member of the U. S. House of Representatives and currently a member of the U.S. Homeland Security Advisory Council and director of the Indiana University Center on Congress.