Most Active Stories
- Extended Interview: Chris Cathcart on the Challenge of Keeping Black Men in College
- Photo Contest Puts the Spotlight on Fort Wayne's Rivers
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- The Difference: How Community Colleges Can Help Close the Achievement Gap
- Holiday Music on 89.1 WBOI and Classical 94.1 WBNI!
Mon October 28, 2013
New Venezuelan Ministry Focuses On 'Supreme Social Happiness'
Originally published on Mon October 28, 2013 8:00 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Steve Inskeep.
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has not had a great year. After a winning a disputed election, he faces inflation near 50 percent. Supplies of basic goods like toilet paper have run low. But now Maduro is acting. He created a new Vice Ministry of Supreme Social Happiness. It's supposed to coordinate services for the poor. We do not know of the Happiness Ministry will work but it has given a practical benefit, causing people to laugh.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.