Pence Urges Lawmakers to Release Road Money

Jan 6, 2015

Gov. Mike Pence has asked the State Budget Committee to release the rest of the Major Moves 2020 money.
Credit Brandon Smith / Indiana Public Broadcasting

Governor Mike Pence says he wants the State Budget Committee to release the second half of the Major Moves 2020 fund.  That would amount to $200 million dollars for road projects.

Two years ago, lawmakers put aside $400 million into what they called the Major Moves 2020 fund.  It was meant for long-term, future projects.  Pence last year secured the release of half of the fund to add lanes to major interstates.  The governor Tuesday announced he will ask the State Budget Committee to approve the transfer of the remaining 200 million.  He says it will be used for capacity building.

“You know, I always say to people, ‘If you’re going to be the crossroads of America, you better have the roads to back it up,’” Pence said. “And the Major Moves 2020 fund was established to strengthen the capacity, particularly adding additional lanes.”

State Budget Committee Chair Luke Kenley says Pence’s plan is in line with what he wanted the money to be used for.

“So that we could, for example, have six lanes on I-70 and I-65,” Kenley said, “so I think he’s making a good investment and I’m okay with it.”

The State Budget Committee meets Thursday.