Most Active Stories
- Historic Hoosier Toboggan Run Opens for the Season
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- Musical Variety is the Spice of Life this Month for Fernando Tarango
- What to Expect from the Indiana General Assembly in 2015
- Holiday Home Tour Promises a Nostalgic Glimpse of Fort Wayne's Past
Wed September 18, 2013
Several Deaths Reported After Train Hits Bus In Ottawa
Originally published on Wed September 18, 2013 12:23 pm
A passenger train hit a passenger bus at a railroad crossing around 8:48 a.m ET Wednesday in Canada's capital city and there were fatalities.
As 11:32 a.m. ET, the CBC's Hanna Thibedeau updated to say that "city officials confirm 6 dead, 31 transported to hospitals, 11 in critical [condition]."
Toronto's CP24 says that the Toronto-bound "passenger train derailed but remained upright after hitting the OC Transpo double-decker bus at a level crossing. The front end of the bus was torn apart in the collision."
Update at 10:43 a.m. ET. Possible That Bus Drive Through Warning Gate:
The CBC reports that "Gregory Mech, a passenger on the bus, speaks to CBC News: 'From what I can tell the bus driver did not notice that these train tracks signal lights were on and the gates were down. People screamed on the bus shortly before the crash because he was not stopping.' "