Most Active Stories
- Historic Hoosier Toboggan Run Opens for the Season
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- Musical Variety is the Spice of Life this Month for Fernando Tarango
- What to Expect from the Indiana General Assembly in 2015
- Holiday Home Tour Promises a Nostalgic Glimpse of Fort Wayne's Past
Wed April 2, 2014
AWS Foundation Donates South Central Campus to Blue Jacket, Inc.
The Fort Wayne nonprofit Blue Jacket, Inc. no longer has to pay rent. The AWS Foundation donated a quarter acre campus to the workforce training organization last week.
Blue Jacket had been leasing their 19,000 square foot building for two years.
The building on South Calhoun Street near Downtown Fort Wayne has a history of serving underprivileged residents – from people with disabilities to refugees; it now houses Blue Jacket’s programs for disadvantaged job seekers, including ex-offenders.
Blue Jacket executive Director Tony Hudson says this donation ensures that his organization will be able to serve Fort Wayne for a long time.
“When you love a mission as much as you do, and you have entities like the AWS foundation that find value in our service, we are humbled," Hudson says. "And we are very thankful that they believe in our mission enough that they want us to stay long term.”
Also on the property is a thrift store where the organization sells business professional clothing to the public, and an urban garden cultivated by the community.