Most Active Stories
- Historic Hoosier Toboggan Run Opens for the Season
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- Gallery Gives Fort Wayne Artist New Chances to Connect
- Business Booming for Christmas Tree Farms Still Recovering From Drought
- Fort Wayne Group Targets Global Poverty Through Handmade Art
Arts & Culture
Wed October 23, 2013
Covered Bridges Disappearing, But Still Community Centerpieces
In the 1800's, an estimated 400 to 500 wooden covered bridges dotted the Hoosier landscape.
As you might expect, time and progress have taken a toll, and now just 90 such structures remain.
To take a look at the history and significance of the covered bridge, WBOI Arts Producer Julia Meek sat down with Ron Branson, founder of the Indiana County History Preservation Society, and author of "Covered Bridges of Indiana.”