This fall, 89.1 WBOI is making some exciting changes to its weekend lineup! Here's what you need to know:
1. Weekend Edition can now be heard from 8-11am on Saturdays and Sundays. While WBOI will continue to carry programs like The Best of Car Talk, Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me, and Ask Me Another on the weekends, we also want to provide news and in-depth examination of ideas and technology that motivate most listeners to make WBOI a regular part of their lives. We hope that putting an extra hour of news on Weekend Edition will help listeners keep up with the headlines and stories that matter most, seven days a week.
2. The Best of Car Talk will now be heard at 6pm on Saturdays and noon on Sundays. Earlier this year, NPR announced that they will no longer be updating the program each week and start distributing only reruns of previously-aired shows. Since the program will now be in reruns, many public radio stations have dropped The Best of Car Talk altogether. We’ve decided to continue The Best of Car Talk on 89.1 WBOI, but at different broadcast times. While The Best of Car Talk remains a popular program, listening has begun to decline. We also want to welcome new programs into the schedule, to present listeners to new people, ideas, and entertainment – that’s what public radio is all about.
3. Three of NPR's most popular podcasts are making their way into WBOI's weekend schedule:
Starting Sept. 16th, you can hear Truth, Politics and Power every Saturday at 7am. Host Neal Conan conducts in-depth conversations that help listeners learn the history, politics and risks of the new administration's decisions
Starting Oct. 7th, you can listen to the Hidden Brain with host Shankar Vedantam every Saturday at 1pm. Shankar is a beloved contributor to Morning Edition and All Things Considered, and will use science and storytelling to help curious people understand the world, current events and themselves.
Starting Sept. 17th, Planet Money and How I Built This can be heard Sundays at 2pm. Planet Money uses storytelling and Peabody award-winning deep dive, roll up your sleeves journalism to explain the economy. Guy Raz hosts How I Built This, where innovators, entrepreneurs, and idealists take us through the often challenging journeys they took to build their now iconic companies.
4. Some programs will be leaving the schedule. This includes Only A Game, Travel With Rick Steves, and Splendid Table. We know that many listeners have enjoyed these programs for several years, but WBOI wanted to introduce our listeners to new programming that focuses on current events, ideas, and social sciences.
5. We want to know what you think! WBOI's listeners guide the programming decisions, and our ears are always open for suggestions and your feedback!