Most Active Stories
- Historic Hoosier Toboggan Run Opens for the Season
- New Bravas Restaurant Offers Unique, Gourmet Burgers to Fort Wayne
- Musical Variety is the Spice of Life this Month for Fernando Tarango
- What to Expect from the Indiana General Assembly in 2015
- Holiday Home Tour Promises a Nostalgic Glimpse of Fort Wayne's Past
Tue August 7, 2012
Service Is A Stretch In Columbia, S.C.
This month we are collecting your stories about the good things Americans are doing to make their community a better place. Some of your contributions will become blog posts and the project will end with a story that weaves together submissions to make a story of Americans by Americans for Americans.
Yoga instructor Dara Brown makes a difference, one pose at a time. It would be enough that she volunteered at Camp Kemo, a summer retreat for kids with cancer, for six years.
But now Dara has developed a meaningful program — Yoga, Youth and Well-Being — to help middle-school girls deal with the stresses of every day life. Dara trains college students on my campus to be instructors and together they go out and change young lives. In turn, many of my students are transformed and have developed a personal calling to service.